More dogs on quilts...



First of all thanks to Valerie Reynolds, this is her blog

http://myplvl.blogspot.com/ for sending me info on this not so quick fix to being a no-reply blogger!

Follow this link if you think you may need this tutorial to enable all your fellow bloggers to contact you:

http://www.flusterbuster.com/search?q=no+reply+blogger

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now onto today's fun in the sewing room...

 This is how this quilt top started out the day, still very much in the planning phase, I am improvising this quilt as I go, so I keep having to lay it all out and say to myself "what do I need next?" 

 

Then I decided what it really needed was some black sashing and some more paper pieced dogs, first I made a Scottie dog:


Then I tried a Bassett Hound in black which looks quite a bit like my Maltipoo Ebony, or did until I appliqued on the big floppy ear:


I loved the black sashing it really made the colors pop and ensured that the black dogs stood out:

I have:
3 paper pieced dogs
1 Off the Leash cartoon cut from my PJ t-shirt
3 appliqued dogs
2 embroidered dogs (a Dachsund and Ebony the Maltipoo)
3 dog photos (2 small in the upper right & 1 large upper left)


So what started out as me just playing with fabric to practice applique and learn paper piecing, then  improvising along the way to use other dog related fabrics scraps, etc turned out quite fun. I have the spray basting done but won't quilt it until at least tomorrow:

I can't wait to start using this as my lap blanket so my darling dogs can curl up on it! No doubt given half a chance my Cockapoo Henry will chew off all the floppy ears!